SANDUSKY PUBLIC LIBRARY
HBM supported the Library throughout an extensive fundraising campaign that yielded the passing of a $7.5 million bond issue and raising an additional $3 million in private donations. HBM has also recently assisted the Library with materials for additional grant funding.
This 63,000 square foot facility weaves two magnificent National Register Historic Landmarks, the 1901 Carnegie Library and the nearby 1883 Erie County Jail together with a new 30,000 SF addition that triples the size of the original library. The result is a highly functional library and a unified urban streetscape using compatible stone, details, forms, and proportions.
The entire 10,000 SF main level of the Carnegie building has been renovated for Children’s Services. The lower level now includes a public archival collection and supportive preservation and work areas.
The former jail has been fully renovated and the cells removed to create open areas to accommodate meeting, technology training, staff, and administrative functions. The north-facing glass wall of the addition provides an abundance of natural light and views to the neighboring courthouse. Passersby can see the activities and materials within.
In late spring of 2015 HBM Architects completed a renovation / update of the Children's Area to incorporate interactive early literacy elements and created a new Digital Media Lab for content creation incorporating equipment for sound and video recording.
HBM ￨ Design Architect, Architect of Record, Interior Designer